The New BMW 1 Series – A Review
BMW is considered to be the most prestigious, legendry and luxury brand in the field of automobiles. The BMW 1 Series, produced in Leipzig, Germany at BMW’s factory, is the first line of small family cars, introduced in 2004. The new BMW 1 Series is rumored to be released in 2012 with the official name F20. According to the Auto Company BMW press release, it features chassis, hardware and electronic elements with a sportier look. It is more comfortable, spacious and fuel-efficient than before.
A five door car with a luxurious exterior and interior gives you an amazing driving experience. The two lines of upscale small cars including BMW Sport Line and BMW Urban Line are a true masterpiece of ground-breaking technology. Fast, Black and bold, this series features new BMW Twin Power Turbo technology for both petrol and diesel engines.
New BMW 1 Series
BMW Efficient Dynamics technology offers optional eight-speed automatic transmission. A driving switch also activates ECO PRO mode. Optional Variable Sports Steering includes more controls i-e Driving Stability Control (DSC) and Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
The car body has the following improvements than the previous BMW1 series.
- The car is 85 mm longer in length and has 17mm more width.
- The wheelbase is 30 mm longer with front track 51 mm and rear track 72 mm wider than the previous model.
- In terms of luggage storage the new BMW 1 series gives a terrific response with luggage compartments expanded from 330 to 360 litres. Back seats can be folded and cockpit has large number of shelves, cup holders and cargo compartments.
- Passenger’s protection and safety is made more secure by front, side and head airbags, and torsion-resistant body.
BMW Connected Drive offers a variety of tools for driver’s assistance. Some main assistive features include:
- Lane Departure Warning and Collision Warning
- Cruise control with brake function speed-limit and no-passing information
- Internet connectivity with web radio, Facebook and Twitter apps
- High-beam assistance, Adaptive Headlights, reversing camera and parking assistance
BMW iDrive system features a remarkable dashboard control display using the incredible BMW flat screen design.
The New BMW1 series offers five models.
- BMW 118i
- BMW 116i
- BMW 120d
- BMW 118d
- BMW 116d
Both BMW 118i and 116i have petrol engines with capacity of 1, 598 cc. and the additive excellence of High Precision Injection, VALVETRONIC, twin-scroll turbocharger and Double-VANOS variable valve control. However there is some difference in specifications
1. BMW 118i
Four –line-cylinder has:
- Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h] in 7.4 seconds
- Maximum speed of 225 km/h
- And Output Performance of 125 kW/170 hp at 4,800 rpm
2. BMW 116i
BMW 116i’s four- line-cylinder offers:
- Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h] in 8.5 seconds
- Maximum speed of 210 km/h
- And Output Performance of 100 kW/136 hp at 4, 400 rpm
BMW 120d, BMW 118d and BMW 116d have some commonality in features which include variable-geometry turbocharger, common-rail magnetic-valve direct injection and engines have capacity of 1,955 cc. On the other hand some diverge specifications are as follows
3. BMW 120d
- Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h] in 7.2 seconds
- Maximum speed of 228 km/h
- And Output Performance of 135 kW/184 hp at 4, 000 rpm
4. BMW 118d
- Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h] in 8.9 seconds
- Maximum speed: 212 km/h
- And Output Performance of 105 kW/143 hp at 4,000 rpm
5. BMW 116d
- Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h] in10.3 seconds
- Maximum speed: 200 km/h
- And Output Performance of 85 kW/116 hp at 4,000 rpm